Monday, April 28, 2014

Woke up at 7:40AM-went down to have breakfast which was the same from the day before. I hobbled all the way down and into breakfast—I am assuming people thought something was wrong with me. My quads were rejecting all the movement I was doing. I felt like I was walking around like my dad. My knees hurt really bad, very stiff-sometimes they would give out while walking which was painful. It was painful to sit down and stand up. I would tell myself to sit or stand and it would take a few extra seconds to actually execute the movement. I was very slow at moving today. I went back upstairs to find Emily packing up. She went to breakfast and I showered and packed up. Then we checked out and walked a little around Madrid (I only got to see a half day’s worth of Madrid and then whatever I saw while running) because I wanted to see more before we left. We walked for maybe a half hour or so and then headed to the train. I learned there is very little pollution in this city or waste on the ground, however, in restaurants you can throw waste on the floor and someone will come pick it up.
We went to Plaza del Sol-main meeting plaza with fake Minnie and Mickey Mouses and characters like the Simpsons. These characters would stop for pictures. Also this is where Tio Pepe is located. All cobblestone paths inside the plaza. We walked down the pedestrian walkways where I got to see all kinds of specialty stores which sold leather, hats, meats, fruit, shoes, etc. Every street off the Plaza had hundreds of stores. Then we went to Plaza Mayor-which is a smaller version of Plaza del Sol. Plaza Mayor is a large open space where people meet/hang out/eat. Not too many people here because it was only 11:30AM, but lots of trucks making their deliveries. Then we walked to Station Atocha which was about another 20-25 minute walk. My legs were still rejecting me and I felt I was super slow, but I am happy I got to see more of the Madrid city. We past more shops, museums-there was such wonderful architecture. We made it to the train station which was just beautiful. We checked in, got luggage security checked, and got to the gate. We waited for maybe 5 minutes and boarded. We travelled in tourist (other option is first class but not terribly different and didn’t want to pay more)with assigned seats so we could sit next to each other. The seats were really nice-had A/C, got headphones to keep, had an English movie playing. The train ride was about 2.5 hours so I watched the movie, looked out the window, and read. The train traveled at a max speed of 265km/h= 197 mi/hr. It really didn’t feel that fast at all. It was a very smooth ride.
We arrived early in Seville at 2:15PM. We got off and walked to the hotel (Santa Lucia)which was about 15 minutes away. We had to ask for directions because we didn’t know where we were at. We eventually found it though. It was a very cute/quaint/small place which is tucked away by residential area. Just in a little corner, very quiet place. The staff was wonderful, I felt like the only guests there. It was a hole in the corner, but very clean, basic, quiet. We sat for a bit and then decided to take a walk. My legs were still very sore, but it was good to walk it out. We walked to the Macarena (Virgin of Seville who is culturally very important). They carry a figure of the Macarena (Mary) in a parade of 21K with 42 men carrying her around town. They are very proud of her and what she represents. Then we wandered to a few other places (Metropol para Sol—the big mushroom some people call it). It was in  a large square where people gather, eat, hang out. Then we went back to the hotel just by winging our own directions (we didn’t know precisely where were at). The streets were much like Rome, where each block changes and some are half blocks and some blocks change names half way through-no real orientation or structure to the roads.
Emily’s friend Marise (knew some English) came to the hotel with her twins (learning English in school and wanted to practice) and husband (knew no English). They walked us to a plaza where we got drinks, jamon (Ham which is extremely popular), and sardines. We also had the house wine which was really strong for me so I drank maybe 1/3 of the glass. They also ordered me a salad because I didn’t have sardines or jamon, and the salad had tuna, tomatoes, green peppers in olive oil—interesting definitely. It was alright to eat-not my favorite but very tasty. Common foods in Spain: danishes, jamon, bread and cheese, tuna, and calamari.
I listened to conversation for the most part-Marise and her kids tried to speak, but preferred Spanish of course.  Emily translated for me when I couldn’t understand. I caught on fairly well though-could understand just not speak as well.

After that plaza we went to another place just about 8 minutes away (everyone walks here because the streets are so narrow and driving is crazy). I got water and we ate/drank again here. I was stuffed from the previous place, but the waiter wouldn’t let me not eat so he brought me San Morejo (green veg blend-bread, olive oil, green peppers, hardboiled eggs, garlic, and vinegar). Usually it is served with eggs and jamon (which they ordered again because the kids and husband move it), but he knew I didn’t eat meat because Emily told the waiter that. It was okay, not my favorite or something I would order, but not a bad dip. The Spaniards love it and eat it by the spoonful, but not my thing. We talked a while at this place and Marise brought albums with her to look at from when Emily and her were in their 20s vacationing together. They have known and traveled with each other for about 20 years now. We talked for a while and then kids had to go since they had school the next day at 9AM, but they get up at 7AM to study before school. Then we walked back to the hotel and went to sleep at 12:15AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment